Concordia University Magazine
In Memoriam

Ronald Frederick Joseph MacDonald, L BA 41, died August 3, 2004, in Grass Valley, Calif. Ronald joined the RCAF after graduating from Loyola, was injured overseas and later returned home. After recovering, he married, completed a BComm from McGill in 1949, and moved to the U.S., where he worked as an accountant and a school administrator. Ronald is survived by two sons. He was 84.

Joseph P. Zweig, S BSc 44, died June 7 in Montreal. Joseph also received his MA in psychology from McGill in 1952 and a PhD in psychology from Columbia University in 1964. He began teaching mathematics part time at Sir George Williams in 1945, then full time in 1949. In 1961 Joseph joined Sir George’s psychology department and taught at Concordia until his retirement in 1980. He served as president of the Sir George faculty association, and also lectured at McGill and the Rabbinical College of Canada. In 1981 the Joseph P. Zweig Scholarship was established in recognition of his long years of service to Concordia, and it is awarded annually for high scholastic achievement to a student studying in the areas of psychology of fitness, exercise science, and/or behavioural medicine. Joseph is survived by four nephews and two nieces. He was 90.

Monsignor Russell Breen, L BA 46, died June 26 in Montreal. He was 80. Msgr. Breen studied at the Université de Montré al and the Grand Seminary, and was ordained by Cardinal Paul-Emile Leger in 1950. At age 26, he was named Roman Catholic chaplain at McGill University, a position he held on and off for 14 years. In the 1960s, Msgr. Breen received his master’s degree in philosophy from Fordham University in New York and his doctorate in religious studies from Université de Strasbourg. He returned to Montreal in 1968 to teach ecumenical theology at Université de Montré al for a year before joining the faculty at Loyola, where he soon became dean of arts and science. Msgr. Breen played a significant role in the negotiations that led to the 1974 merger of Loyola and Sir George Williams into Concordia University. He then served for 12 years as one of Concordia’s two academic vicerectors. The pope appointed him monsignor in 1981. Five years later, Msgr. Breen was named the ninth rector of St. Patrick’s Basilica, and was responsible for the $4.5-million restoration of the downtown Montreal church in 1993.

H. John Patterson, S BA 48, died December 23, 2004, in Pointe Claire, Que. He is survived by his wife, Margaret, and children, Gordon and Janet.

Magnus Flynn, S BComm 49, died April 7 in Victoria. Born in Scotland, Magnus came to Canada as an infant. He was an outstanding athlete, excelling in basketball and boxing. He joined the army reserves in 1939, and was loaned to the British army as a platoon commander with the Dorset Regiment. Magnus was seriously wounded, but eventually returned to Canada and enrolled at Sir George Williams. In 1952 he became Sir George’s director of athletics and student liaison officer, and coach of the Senior Georgian basketball team, whom he led to eight Ottawa-St. Lawrence Intercollegiate Athletic Association championships in 11 years. In 1962 Magnus became dean of students at Sir George, a position he held until his retirement from Concordia in 1982. He was admitted into the Concordia Sports Hall of Fame in 1999. He is survived by his wife, Joan Richardson-Flynn, S BA 64, and two sons and two daughters. Magnus was 83.

Owen Rowe, S BA 50, died April 16 in Montreal. He was 82. During his career Owen was a teacher, diplomat, military historian, social worker and parole officer. Born in Barbados, during the second World War Owen enlisted in the Royal Signal Corps and was sent to basic training in Kingston, Ont. He was assigned to the U.S. navy, but was rejected because he was black. He subsequently completed his BA from Sir George and master’s in social work from McGill. In 1966 Owen was appointed Eastern Caribbean Commissioner in Montreal. When he retired in 1987, Owen spent much of his time chronicling the history of West Indians who enlisted in the Canadian Forces, and was a contributor to several community newspapers.

Captain Albert Mah (retired), BA 79, died May 6 in Montreal. Born in Prince Rupert, B.C., Al won the B.C. Golden Gloves boxing championship at 18. After learning to fly in California, he returned to Canada and soon began working with Quebec Airways. Al left for China National Aviation Corp. in China to be closer to his family, and while there helped smuggle his sister out from behind Japanese lines. He later flew 420 missions over the Burma Hump to help supply Nationalist Chinese forces in their struggle with the communists. Returning to Canada, he opened a flying school in 1950. He then enjoyed a long career in aviation, completing his degree along the way. In 1995, Al received a Distinguished Flying Cross and Air Medal from the U.S. Air Force. A long-time member of the board of the Association of Alumni of Sir George Williams University, Al received the CUAA’s Benoit Peland Distinguished Service Award in 2002. He is survived by his children, Alicia, Arran, Heather and Hilary. He was 84.

Alumni Association
About the Magazine
Contact Us
September 2005

The Editor's Voice
Letters to the Editor
Association News
Words and Music Class Acts
Kudos In Memoriam
Coming Events End Piece